Tuesday, December 29, 2015

3D Wall Art: Passion (Part 1)

It's rather gloomy outside today. It has been raining on and off for the past few days and while I like a good storm, I don't like having to put a project on hold for days because it's pouring. Thankfully, the clouds parted just long enough for me to do a raking job and to do two clear coats on this box I decorated. (I bought it at one of my favorite antique/thrift/one-man's-junk-is-another-man's-treasure stores for about $10. It was plain wood and I wanted to try my hand at revamping with mixed media.) I quite like the finished product!



(Sorry if my pictures are less than stellar . . . sunlight literally does not come into the picture.) Next time I repaint/decorate something wooden I'll post my process and whatnot. (I also bought this awesome mahogany tray--you could beat someone to death with that thing, it's so heavy--at that store and it too was $10. *victory dance* I don't want to do crazy stuff to that one, just paint it. That'll most likely be my next project.)

Okay, for today: 3D Wall Art

Again, mixed media. I saw this awesome thing in a book (wow, that was so vague) where they used foil and it looked great. I'd like to start with that. Let's see . . .

I have my 10x10 canvas. I'm putting little self-stick pearls all over randomly, then I'm going to paint a layer of Mod Podge over the whole thing, edges included. (Usually I'd not be so picky about getting my hands dirty but I'm on a diet right now. It's important not to absorb any superfluous chemicals.) The podging:



Now I'll take a piece of foil and lay it over the canvas, being careful not to be too careful. I want the crinkles. Pressing it down gently so there is total contact.



Oops. Pressed too hard here. Oh well, the paint should cover that.



I put globs of Mod Podge (to give an opaque effect at random) and both red and burgundy paint over the canvas, then spread it all out with a wide paintbrush. I want to use black paint (or something very dark) to age it. Gotta wait 'til this red coat is dry though, which might take a while because I put it on so thick.



In the meantime, I did the first coat of paint on the paverpol flower and sewed a few ribbon roses.



All right, the red paint seems to be dry so I'll do black over it now. I watered down the black paint but it was still thicker than I'd intended, so the overall tone is much, much darker. I like it though.



END of PART 1

Be back tomorrow with the finishing touches.

No comments:

Post a Comment