Monday, January 4, 2016

Home (Mostly Kitchen) Makeover

Today I didn't touch a "craft," per se, but I did quite a lot of house painting.

Our kitchen--cabinets, walls, the works--has been this kind of burnt umber/brick red for years. It has all these chips out of the paint in high-wear places, like around the handles from fingernails, and at sharp corners where people are constantly bashing into it. I am a repeat offender at those corners.

Needless to say (of course, I obviously do actually need to say it), it's beaten up and you get tired of looking a the same color scheme for five years.

My dad is a contractor (specializing is woodworking) so he gets cast-offs from jobs all the time. People give us old dishwashers. They give us old light fixtures. And lots of half empty* cans of paint.
We primed the heck out of the cabinets and cupboards on Sunday and today we broke out a cast-off we thought might look good, even though we wouldn't have chosen it right form the paint store ourselves (waste not, want not . . .).

Oh my gosh, it was ugly. It was this horrible pale booger yellow. None of us like pastel shades in the first place and up against our sort of cherry-stained trim it was twice as awful. Ick. We went and found a different color, a white with a low warmth to it. It had a yellow undertone--undertone is the operative word.

Up went the second color. Zip, zip, zip. Lookin' good.


The primed cabinets


While I did the cabinets, mom repainted the ceiling, which had browned over time from close proximity to a stove pipe. Now everything is pristine white, which isn't really our thing usually, but it is SO nice not to have chipped brick red and smoked ceiling white as far as the eye can see.


*On the issue of whether I am a "glass half full" or "glass half empty" kind of gal: I'm neither. If my glass was empty and someone filled it halfway up then it is half full. If it was full and I guzzled half then it is half empty. And in the case of a can of paint, where it was full and half was splashed all over the walls . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment